Movie Review: The Words

The Words is about a famous author (Dennis Quaid), who attends a public reading of his new book, The Words. The story in the book is centered around an aspiring writer named Rory Jensen (Bradley Cooper) who, after continually attempting to sell his first novel, ends up in major trouble after copying a story from an old manuscript he found in a briefcase into his laptop and publishing it as his own piece. After the book becomes a hit and Rory gains fame as an author, the original author (Jeremy Irons) of the manuscript encounters Rory and tells him the truth about the novel he wrote, explaining that the manuscript was based off his own life in the US Army during World War II. After he explains everything, including how he left the manuscript in a briefcase on a train after a trip back to Paris, he leaves Rory sitting alone. Then, after realizing his awful mistake, Rory tells his girlfriend (ZoĆ« Saldana) and his publisher (Zeljko Ivanek) the truth about his novel and seeks out the original author to pay him and apologize. The old author later dies, taking the secret of the manuscript to the grave with him. A few years later, Rory realizes that he can’t move on emotionally and is tormented by nightmares until he writes another book, telling the true story of the manuscript.
As you may know, most of my reviews have been all action movies. After seeing this movie, I felt like I shouldn’t be limited to just the action/sci-fi genre of films for my reviews. This movie was more of a drama/romance type of movie that I’m not really experienced in writing about that much. Although, this movie was pretty good in my opinion. I usually like movies with flashbacks, usually dealing with war times, so this movie was excellent in doing that. I also liked the part of it was set in France, which is a place I’ve always wanted to visit. I also liked the actors in this because most of them have had plenty of experience in drama films like these. Bradley Cooper is one of my favorite actors, most famous for The A-Team, Limitless, and of course, The Hangover Series. I also liked ZoĆ« Saldana who made an amazing female lead in this film.
This movie was excellent, and you will love it if you like romantic dramas, aspiring writers, flashbacks, and Bradley Cooper (More for the females, I guess).

I gave this movie a 7 out of 10 because it had an excellent cast and an amazing plot…except for the ending, that seemed to not really sum things up for the movie, but I’ll just let you see it for yourself and see what you think.        

Comments

Popular Posts